Orthopaedics deals with injuries and diseases of the muscoskeletal system, including treatment for bones, joints and spinal conditions. Along with complex bone disease and conditions such as arthritis, orthopaedic specialists also deal with a variety of sporting injuries and spinal damage.
Our team of exceptional orthopaedic specialists provide high-quality care for a large range of orthopaedic conditions. Our highly experienced orthopaedic surgeons provide first-rate surgical intervention covering a large number of procedures such as hip and knee replacements, shoulder injuries and spinal surgery, as well as offering exceptional clinical care for the treatment of sports injuries.
Orthopaedic Surgeons, Doctors & Specialists At SJMC, Malaysia
Orthopaedics is a branch of medicine related to the musculoskeletal system of the human body. This system comprises bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, nerves and tendons. Injury to any of these parts will affect the movement of a person.
When an accident happens, and there is a possibility of having a broken bone, an orthopaedic specialist will run a medical examination and assessment on the patient. The human body has more than 200 bones, and the prospect for a person needing to consult the expertise of orthopaedic doctors in their lifetime is high.
Read More close
People also make appointments to see orthopaedic specialists when they suffer from unexpected injuries or have a chronic condition like arthritis or lower back pain. These specialists develop treatment plans to support the patients and assist them in avoiding further injury risk or worsening of their current condition.
Other types of orthopaedic specialists who diagnose, manage treatment and also assist with rehabilitation that enables the patients to regain movement, strength, range of motion and flexibility following an injury or surgery are known as orthopaedic surgeons.
Due to the diversity of orthopaedic, orthopaedic surgeons specialise even further. Examples of the subspecialties are:
- foot and ankle
- hip and knee
- shoulder and elbow
- sports medicine
- trauma surgery
- paediatric orthopaedic
Conditions Treated by Orthopaedic Specialist Doctors
Orthopaedic doctors treat various conditions such as:
- joint arthritis
- bone cancer
- bone fractures/joint dislocation
- carpal tunnel syndrome/trigger fingers
- injuries to tendons or ligaments, such as sprains and tendonitis
- joint or back pain
- limb abnormalities such as clubfoot and bowlegs
- muscle strains
Orthopaedic Treatments That Require the Best Available Orthopaedic Surgeons
There are cases where the conditions or injuries do not improve, even after the preventive measures have been taken. In such cases, there are possibilities to call for orthopaedic surgery. Examples of surgeries performed by orthopaedic surgeons are:
- Fusion – Connecting two bones together that involves using bone graft material (autograft, allograft, or artificial bone substitutes). Commonly used in neck and spine surgery.
- Internal fixation – Relocating fragments of bone according to their usual placement and held together using special implants such as nails, plates, screws and wires.
- Joint replacement – Surgical procedure involves replacing parts of a damaged joint with a prosthesis. Common examples are knee and hip replacement. It can be done to other joints such as the ankle, elbow, shoulder and wrist also.
- Osteotomy – A type of surgery that comprises cutting a part of a bone (either tibia or femur) and then repositioning it to relieve pressure on the knee joint. This type of surgery may sometimes be used to treat arthritis.
- Release surgery – A surgery that is performed to treat carpal tunnel syndrome. The surgery helps to relieve symptoms by reducing pressure on the median nerve.
- Soft tissue repair – A procedure to repair severely damaged muscles, ligaments, or tendons due to injury.
- Reconstruction of torn ligaments, such as ACL reconstruction and other ligaments
Scheduling for a Visit to the Orthopaedic Doctors
It is recommended to make an appointment to visit an orthopaedic doctor when you are:
- Having reduced mobility or range of motion in the elbow, knee or shoulder
- Suffering from injuries to bone or joint
- Experiencing frequent nerve-related symptoms such as numbness and tingling or a feeling of “pins and needles” either in the arms or legs
- Feeling pain or having swelling in bone, joint, or muscle that is persistent and does not respond to at-home care
- Finding difficulties in performing day-to-day routines due to excessive joints pain
At SJMC, our team of professional orthopaedic doctors and surgeons provide high-quality treatment that covers extensive forms of orthopaedic conditions. Our highly experienced orthopaedic surgeons provide first-rate surgery and excellent clinical services covering a wide variety of operations, such as hip and knee replacements, and shoulder and spinal surgery.
Get in touch and book an appointment with our team of orthopaedic specialists below.