Clinical neuropsychology is the study of brain anatomy and functioning especially in terms of its role in neurocognitive performance (e.g. memory, attention, planning, organising, visual perception, language and speech), neurobehavioral functioning (e.g. mood, personality, emotion) and other psychological processes. It is also defined as an applied science that examines the impact of both normal and abnormal brain functioning on a broad range of cognitive, emotional, and behavioural functions.
Clinical Neuropsychologists are highly skilled and trained to understand, assess, diagnose and treat cognitive, behavioral and emotional manifestation of a wide range of conditions affecting the Central Nervous System (brain and spine) including:
- Neurological diseases such as Stroke, Brain Tumors, Epilepsy, Aneurysms and Arteriovenous Malformations
- Traumatic brain injury resulting from motor vehicle accidents falls or assaults.
- Movement Disorders such as Parkinson’s Disease, Parkinson Plus Syndromes, Motor Neuron Disease, Tic and Tourette Syndrome, Huntington’s Disease
- Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system such as Multiple Sclerosis or Encephalitis
- Aging-Related /Neurodegenerative conditions such as Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI), Alzheimer’s Disease, Frontotemporal Dementia, Lewy Body Dementia and etc.
- Disorders of Consciousness / Coma Recovery, Unresponsive Wakefulness Syndrome (Prolonged Vegetative State), Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy
- Metabolic Diseases
- Developmental/ Learning Disorders including ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia (Paediatrics)
- Neurodevelopmental Delays (Paediatrics), Syndromic Diseases (e.g. Leigh Disease, Lennox Gastaut) and Intellectual Disabilities
- Psychiatric Conditions or Mood Disorders with Cognitive markers
- Mental Capacity, Medico-legal Evaluation and Expert Witness
Neuropsychological assessment and evaluation are essential for diagnostic workouts, treatment planning, prognostication, and a baseline for future clinical evaluation as well.
Procedures / Treatments Performed:
- Comprehensive Neuropsychological and Neurobehavioral Testing and Evaluation
- Cognitive Remediation/ Rehabilitation Therapy (Restorative and Compensatory)
- Cognitive Reserve Stimulation
- Multisensory Stimulation and Rehabilitation
- Presurgical Planning, Intraoperative Brain Mapping, Post-surgical Cognitive and Functional Mapping
- WADA Hemispheric Dominance Assessment
- Motor Planning and Functional Stimulation.
- Adaptive Skills Training and Behavioural Modification
Dr Vigneswaran Veeramuthu
Consultant Clinical Neuropsychologist (Adult & Pediatrics)
Psychology - Clinical